Inspections and Enforcement
Leslie H. Persans, CBO - Division Head
555 Bay Road, Dover, DE 19901
(302) 744-2451 / 2452 / Fax: (302) 736-2123
Office Hours: 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. Mon. - Fri.
Permits are required for several reasons. The most important is that the structure(s) are being built to code and are safe for human occupancy.
For the physically disabled, codes ensure that you have access to public buildings and have the use of the facilities including but not limited to bathrooms, water fountains, and elevators.
Permits are established to aid in protecting homeowners from property disputes with neighbors. Several permits require a plot plan that will be used by the inspector to verify that you have not encroached on your neighbors property.
Always remembers, the building codes are a minimum. You can always build better than what is required by code but you can never go less.
Listed below are the types of permit required in Kent County. Please contact our office, if your project is not listed below.
- Decks larger than 16 square feet
- Gas Fireplaces, Inserts, Coal, and Pellet Stoves
- Roofing (when replacing more than 25% of the roof sheathing or when changing the roof material. Example: Asphalt Shingles to Metal Roof)
- Structural & Non-Structural Renovations
- Finished Bonus Room
- Finished Basements
- Elevated Patios
- Commercial structures
- Business Certificate of Occupancies
- Commercial Fit-outs
- Temporary Activities
- Demolition of structures (needed to remove existing structures from the tax rolls)